The Doggett-Tucker House inaugurates its eightieth anniversary along Jacksonville’s riverfront with its renaissance as the flagship office for the law firm. The firm demanded the same attention to detail in the restoration of the property as it provides its clients. The firm’s stewardship of this important historic house enables the building to continue to enhance the landscape of Riverside. Simultaneously, the house serves as an appropriate setting for the firm’s legal practice.
Prominent Jacksonville architect Roy Benjamin designed the Shingle-style residence in 1917 for Judge John Locke Doggett, Sr. Builder R. V. Labarro completed construction the following year at a cost of $20,000, an extravagant sum at the time. Over the next twenty years Judge Doggett and his wife Carrie would enjoy the house and its vista of downtown Jacksonville.
In 1937, Finley and Jane Tucker bought the property. They occupied it until 1951 when they sold it to Harry and Ola Holland. In 1996, Mrs. Holland entrusted her home of forty-five years to the care of Thomas K. Purcell, Timothy L. Flanagan and Jonathan L. Hay. Under their stewardship, the property truly has returned to its original role as a riverfront landmark. It has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated as a landmark by the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission.